Q&A with Nick Mangieri

spIUvBG

When IU defensive coordinator Brian Knorr arrived at IU, he brought his 3-4 defense, which meant IU would use a bandit linebacker in 2014.

IU junior linebacker Nick Mangieri has taken on the role as one of the Hoosiers’ bandits this season. Through five games, he has 15 tackles, two sacks and an interception to his credit.

IU will play Iowa at noon Saturday in Iowa City. The IDS caught up with Mangieri after practice Tuesday.

Q You’ve now played five games in the bandit linebacker role. How are you liking it?

A I enjoy it a lot. It takes getting used to, obviously, but I’m starting to get more comfortable in my alignments and the disguises and stuff like that. As the year goes on, I should be able to progress even more so.

Q Are you getting closer to where you want to be in that position? Some weeks have seemed better than others.

A Yeah, definitely. Last week, I think I was thinking a little too much, trying to be perfect in my technique. Instead, I was flying around this past week, and I think I did a better job of just cutting loose.

Q You come from a football family. What was it like growing up with an older brother who was three years older than you? Did he beat you up a bit? (P.J. Mangieri was a long snapper at Nebraska from 2009-12.)

A Yeah, when we were younger he used to try and bully me a little bit. My parents say that’s why I got to be somewhat fast. I don’t consider myself too fast, but I was fast enough to run away from him.

Q Did he teach you anything or bring you around places?

A He was really the one who got me into the weight room when I was younger. When he was in high school, I was able to drive with him and go over there.

Q One of the things the coaches have been talking about is consistency. Are you getting closer to being that consistent team?

A I think with every practice, every week we grow closer and closer to being consistent, I guess is the word.

Once everybody starts to get more familiar with the plays and where they fit, I think, as the year goes on, it will be a lot more fun to watch the defense.

Q What do you need to see out of the defense this week against Iowa to prove that consistency?

A Honestly, we’ve just got to fly around, have fun and make plays.