New monastery opens in Bloomington

The grand opening of Bloomington’s new Gaden KhachoeShing Buddhist Monastery will be Saturday on monastery grounds at 2150 E. Dolan Road.

The Gaden KhachoeShing Monastery was founded in 2007. Construction on the Bloomington monastery began in 2012. It is located on 128 acres of forest, meadow and stream, according to a press release from the monastery.

It will serve as a home for those who wish to study the teachings of Lama Je Tsongkhapa, a 15th-century Buddhist teacher from Tibet. These teachings are available to monks, nuns and laypeople.

“The great master’s clear renderings of Buddha’s teachings on wisdom and compassion are as relevant today as they were in the 15th century,” resident translator Jamyang Lama said in the release. “And with all the suffering in the world, they (are) needed now more than ever.”

The design of the temple mirrors that of Buddhist temples in Tibet and Mongolia, including an assembly hall, smaller, interior temples and residence areas for monks. In addition, the building is fitted with “green” fixtures to conserve water and energy.

“In building this temple, we have incorporated the best of old and new to preserve and protect the natural (environment) and its inhabitants,” Lama said.

The property is a hunting-free zone with landscaping composed of local plants, and the group is putting into place forest stewardship.

All celebration events are open to the public. Cuisine from Tibet, Mongolia, Nepal and India will be provided during the celebration banquet and a multicultural concert will take place.