Nearly Naked Mile celebrates eight years

Caleb Marshall, IU Recreational Sport Instructor, dances in front of a crowd of students before the Nearly Naked Mile run Wednesday at Dunn Meadow.

Every Wednesday during Homecoming week, students gather in Dunn Meadow clad in body paint, running shoes and not much else.

A DJ spins music, the runners stretch together and at 8 p.m., the one-mile race commences. Runners loop around campus and eventually end up at the Sample Gates.

The Nearly Naked Mile is an annual Homecoming tradition in its seventh year. It began in 2007 when members of the IU Student Alumni Association decided to partner with United Way to create an event in which students could express their Homecoming spirit while contributing clothing donations to a local charity.

Participating students can donate either two articles of clothing or $10 to United Way in order to run the race.

Amanda Helms, a senior who is directing this year’s event, said the Nearly Naked Mile is “a big push to get students pumped up” during Spirit Week.

She ran her freshman and sophomore years and thinks the event is a “good way for students to celebrate Homecoming.”

“The (IUSAA) student group organizes it and partners with United Way, and then we work ... to put together all the clothing items and send them off to the Salvation Army,” Helms said.

According to the IUSAA, 1,500 students ran in 2013, and about 2,500 articles of clothing were donated. Helms said the amount of runners often varies from year to year, decreasing when the event takes place on a particularly cold night. This year Helms hopes even more students will come out, she said.

“I’m excited to see all the energy, see all the students being excited for Homecoming,” she said. “It’s absolutely crazy.”

A committee of students that organizes the other Homecoming activities helps out, as well, in addition to volunteers, who help with registration and clothing collection.

This year Union Board is also involved in putting on the event.

Senior Maddy Bradley, who ran in 2013, said the difference students made was visible — huge piles of clothes were ?everywhere.

“It was a good way to get involved and give back to the community,” Bradley said.

In years past, the Nearly Naked Mile has featured either a DJ at the beginning of the evening or a band at the end, but this year runners will be able to ?enjoy both.

The Phunk Nasty’s, a band based in Bloomington, will play after the race concludes, slated at 8:15 p.m., Helms said.

Bradley described the evening as more of a party than a workout. She said she felt the event was more inclusive than other Homecoming activities.

“I thought it was more fun because I’m not greek, so it was easier to get involved ... so many activities are more greek-centered, I think, so it was more fun for everyone,” she said.

The senior plans to run the mile again this year.

Freshman Claire L’Heureux said she is eager to participate in the Nearly Naked Mile for the first time. Her sister has done it in the past, and this year the two plan to run together.

“It’s only a mile, so even though I’m not in shape I still think it’ll be fun,” L’Heaureux said. “I’m not discouraged to run ... it will definitely get me into the Homecoming spirit.”

Follow reporter Emily Beck on Twitter,  @emebeck1