Maurer School of Law recruits Vassar students

The IU Maurer School of Law has formed a memorandum of understanding with Vassar College that will offer scholarships and mentoring to Vassar undergraduates interested in pursuing a law degree.

Through this program, at least two Vassar Law Scholars admitted to the Maurer School of Law will receive a scholarship that awards about 50 percent of annual tuition, according to ?an IU release.

Depending on the students residency and other factors, the tuition over three years will be reduced by $45,000 to $75,000.

“Vassar is an exceptional institution and a pioneer for liberal arts education in the United States,” said Austin Parrish, dean of the law school and James H. Rudy Professor of Law in the release. “Its students are among some of the most talented in the nation, and the great majority of them plan to pursue advanced study.”

Vassar College will be responsible for nominating at least two students or alumni for admission to the Maurer School of Law each year, according to the University.

Vassar is consistently ranked among the top liberal arts colleges in the nation and is highly selective.

Apart from the nomination, the Maurer School of Law will also consider a student’s academic performance, letters of recommendation, past experience and desire to attend the law school will also be considered.

The law school also has scholarship programs with Georgia Institute of Technology, Grinnell College, Knox College and Princeton University.

At 5:15 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 15, in Rocky 200, the law school will host a workshop on law school applications that will include information on the Vassar Law Scholars program.