Mathers Museum hosts monster-themed family event

Yoyo Xu picks out candy with his mother Luming after making a monster bookmark at the Mathers Museum's Halloween Family Fun Fest.

The Mathers Museum of World Cultures hosted its annual Family Fun Fest on Sunday afternoon. The event’s theme was “Monsters,” and the museum invited children to explore their creative sides with a plethora of spooky crafts.

The event attracted young children, families and some students as well.

Meagan Allen, a graduate student, said she heard about the event through the college calendar and was intrigued by the idea.

“I’m a medievalist, so I do a lot with religion, so that’s kind of my ?interest,” Allen said.

Allen joked that the event gave her “an excuse to avoid doing work,” though she enjoyed her time ?working on crafts.

Attendees enjoyed crafting their monsters of choice from toilet paper rolls or paper plates and munching on Halloween treats as they worked.

Maggie Sher brought her son and daughter to the museum for some family fun, though her son, just three years old, was focused on the crafting only for a little while.

“He made a toilet paper roll monster and a treat bag, but he’s not so into the crafts,” Sher said.

Her son proudly showed off his treat bag, covered in stamps of Tigger, his favorite character.

Sher said her family has been coming to Mathers since the children were small, and she loves the enriching experience of attending museum events.

“I just like that the kids get exposed to a bunch of different ?cultures,” Sher said.

Nikki Albright, who brought along son Allen and daughter Alexis, said she heard about the event through a friend.

“They’ve been doing a lot of crafts at home, and we like coming here,” Albright said. “I’m glad they had things for them to do.”

Albright’s daughter Alexis said she is not sure what her favorite monster is, but Allen said the boogeyman is the one he likes best.

Jinyi Kim said her son and daughter love crafts and frequent the museum’s family events. She showed her son’s paper plate creation, which had two creatures depicted on its two sides.

“Look at that,” Kim said, pointing to her son’s paper-plate creation. “He made just a spider person and a green monster with five eyes.”

Samantha Sandusky, a graduate student who took the lead on planning this event, said she found ideas for the specific theme while surfing the Internet for ideas. She said she hopes the families leave with a good impression of Mathers.

“My hope for families ?attending the event is that, even after leaving the Mathers Museum, they continue to talk about the experience with one another,” Sandusky said in an email. “I also hope they keep coming back to Mathers — we have a lot to offer.”

Each of the parents in attendance said they were impressed with the museum and would gladly attend?future events.