Mathers Museum hosts Halloween celebration

The Mathers Museum of World Cultures will introduce Bloomington families to the world of monsters at its annual Halloween Family Fun Fest from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday.

Sarah Hatcher, head of programs and education at Mathers, said the event has been a tradition at the museum since at least 2001 and has a special place in the museum’s yearly event lineup.

“It is a wonderful way for families to interact with the museum and has been well-received each year,” Hatcher said. “For some international families on campus, it is their introduction to the holiday.”

The theme of this year’s event is partially inspired by Halloween posts on Pinterest, said Samantha Sandusky, a graduate assistant who took the lead planning this event.

“I decided on ‘Monsters’ as this year’s theme after browsing through a million different craft ideas online,” Sandusky said. “’Monsters’ seemed like a good choice because it hasn’t been a theme, at least in recent years, and the crafts for it were appropriate for all ages.”

The open-ended theme, she said, allows the children attending to share their views on what they consider to be a monster.

“There is no true definition of what a monster is, so it will be up to the children to determine what the monsters they create will look like,” Sandusky said. “The theme is more for logistical purposes, but it’s important that it celebrate the holiday spirit and make for ?fun crafts.”

Sandusky said her job included scanning the Web for family-friendly ideas, creating templates and examples of crafts for the children and helping the team decorate.

“The most enjoyable part of the planning process was definitely making the examples,” Sandusky said. “As a grad student, it is so nice to have an excuse to color with markers. The Halloween Family Fun Fest has been a great way for me to express my creativity when school can sometimes feel too technical.”

Sandusky said the event team has planned a myriad of options for the children as they explore what they find truly monstrous.

“We have five craft stations for the event, and we will be making bookmarks, ghouls, puzzles, door hangers and treat bags, all with a monster theme,” Sandusky said. “Dancing is also encouraged.”

Sandusky said this is the first Family Fun Fest she will attend as a graduate assistant, and she looks forward to seeing how much the attendees enjoy themselves.

“The Halloween Family Fun Fest is an opportunity for families throughout the community to come together and celebrate the holiday in a safe and fun environment,” ?Sandusky said.

Hatcher said she hopes the event encourages more attention to the museum’s subsequent exhibits.

“Ideally a person or a family who wouldn’t normally come to the museum attends and is inspired to come back for our exhibits and other events,” Hatcher said.