IU working with Bloomington to plan homecoming

IU Homecoming 2014 is going to be a town-wide affair.

For the second year in a row, IU will work with Bloomington government and tourism officials and local businesses to create excitement on campus and in the community for homecoming events, according to the University.

Julie Warren, director of tourism for Visit Bloomington, said in a University release that homecoming weekend has a tremendous impact on local businesses, which she said leads to a boost in tax revenue for the entire community.

“Homecoming weekend is one of the biggest visitor weekends of the year, with thousands of IU alumni and fans filling hotel rooms, restaurants, shops and attractions,” she said in a University release.

According to the University, Visit Bloomington is an organization that works to promote the area as a tourist destination.

Warren said local residents don’t mind the influx of visitors that homecoming weekend brings.

“And even though there’s extra traffic, local residents are excited about homecoming and enjoy welcoming these loyal fans back to their Bloomington home,” she said.

The University said homecoming activities and events will occur from Oct. 15 through 18, culminating with the homecoming football game against Michigan State.

Local businesses and restaurants will bring awareness to Homecoming by giving out themed paraphernalia including coasters, stickers, banners, posters and buttons.

One new feature of homecoming weekend is A Taste of Mini U, which will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. Friday, Oct. 17 at the DeVault Alumni Center.

The event will include IU professor Beth Cate giving a presentation called “Voting Rights and Wrongs: The Supreme Court Revists Race, Redistricting and the Remains of the Voting Rights Act” and professor Greg Kitzmiller presenting on the history of craft beer in America.

Another addition to the weekend is the presentation of the Distinguished Alumni Service Award, given to graduates who have made contributions to or achievements in their fields or their community, state or nation.

The award ceremony was traditionally held during another time in the academic year, according to the University.

The four recipients of this year’s award are philantropist Kathy Ziliak, Ice Miller partner Lacy Johnson, retired ambassador James D. McGee and New York Times crossword editor Will Shortz.

Anderson and McGee will be panelists at the annual “I’m a Hoosier” panel on Thursday, Oct. 16 at Whittenberger Auditorium, according to the University.

“Homecoming is a great celebration of Indiana University and Bloomington,” JT. Forbes, CEO and executive director of the IU Alumni Association, said. “We are pleased to add the Distinguished Alumni Service Award to the lineup, because it allows our students and alumni to recognize and meet individuals whose achievements burnish the reputation of the university and all IU degree holders.”

According to the University, other homecoming highlights include the Nearly Naked Mile — in which students run through campus shedding clothing that will be donated to the United Way — Wednesday, Oct. 15, the annual homecoming parade Friday, Oct. 17 followed by a pep rally at Sample Gates, and an all-day open house the same Friday at the DeVault Alumni Center during which all visitors will receive a free gift at the door.

Mike Mann, the alumni program officer for spirit, pride and tradition, said in a University release that homecoming is a great way to celebrate what makes IU special.

“We are looking forward to IU Homecoming 2014 as another opportunity to celebrate the unique spirit of Indiana University and the Bloomington community,” he said.

More information about homecoming can be found at http://alumni.indiana.edu/together/homecoming and on Twitter at @IUAA.

Neha Ramani