sports volleyball

IU to play Purdue twice in four days

spVolleyballMichiganSt

In the 40 years IU volleyball has existed, it has played Purdue 92 times.

The Hoosiers are 33-59 all-time against the Boilermakers. The series has a history of one team achieving success for a long period of time and then dropping off significantly.

IU is currently in a slump against its rival.

Since the 2003 season, the Hoosiers are 3-19 against ?Purdue.

IU will get two chances in four days to try and reverse its fortunes.

The Hoosiers (12-4, 3-1) will play at 7 p.m. today in West Lafayette against in-state rival Purdue (14-2, 4-0).

Just four days later, Purdue and IU will play at 7 p.m. Saturday in Bloomington.

IU has had its best Big Ten start in 16 years. The last time IU started the conference season 3-1, the year was 1998.

One of the reasons for the good start has been the communication on the court, sophomore setter Megan Tallman said.

“Our front-row and back-row communication has been excellent,” Tallman said. “We’re both doing different things, but we need to work together. “

That communication with the middle blockers led to junior middle blocker Awele Nwaeze being named Big Ten defensive player of the week for her performance last weekend.

She averaged 2.6 blocks per set against Maryland and Rutgers. IU Coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan said she is proud of Nwaeze.

“Those are some big-time numbers in the best conference in the country,” she said in a press release.

While IU has gotten off to a hot start, Purdue has been even better.

Purdue is historically a national power, and this season has been no different.

The Boilermakers have lost just two games total, both coming in five-set nail biters.

They are currently 4-0 in the Big Ten, the only undefeated team left in the conference.

Despite reigning as the top team in the Big Ten, Purdue hasn’t received as much attention from the national polls as other conference teams.

Purdue ranks No. 14 in the coaches poll.

Three other Big Ten teams, No. 5 Penn State, No. 6 Wisconsin and No. 8 Nebraska, rank higher than the Boilermakers.

A win for IU would be the first in West Lafayette in five years.

Expectations for the rest of the season must be held in check, Dunbar-Kruzan said. The team must continue to take one weekend at a time.

But the best start in 16 years has some of the IU players excited.

After the 2-0 weekend, Tallman had a simple message for the rest of the Big Ten.

“Indiana volleyball is back.”