IU to offer big data masters degree

The IU School of Informatics and Computing announced the addition of a new master’s degree.

The data science degree program will welcome its inaugural group of students in January, according to an IU press release.

The program will capitalize on the existing breadth of research about the topic within the school and will include courses in computer science, informatics, information science, library science and statistics.

Students will be able to customize their programs by choosing either a technical or the decision-making track.

A major reason for the creation of the degree is a growing market for big data jobs, according to the University.

“This program will produce well-prepared graduates who will provide a competitive advantage to companies and organizations across Indiana and throughout the nation,” said Bobby Schnabel, dean of the School of Informatics and Computing, in the release.

Students can also choose whether to complete the 30-credit program online, on campus or through a combination of the two options.

Through the hybrid option, students will be able to complete their first year online and their second year on the IU-Bloomington campus.

Additional course sequences will be offered for students seeking to pursue careers in specific domains such as health and cybersecurity.

The courses will be offered in four broad areas.

Data analysis and statistics courses will train students to develop and extend algorithms and teach analysis and visualization ?techniques.

Data life cycle courses will teach students about the life cycle of data, including data preservation.

Data management and infrastructure courses will provide students with the ability to manage and support projects involving big data.

The degree will build on the existing online big data degree that will enter its second year in January.

Anna Hyzy