Improve trans policies

In the past month or so, I have introduced two resolutions to help transgender students across our ?campus.

In the interest of full disclosure, it is important that I am upfront about the fact that I am an IU Student Association Congressman and that my views are not necessarily representative of IUSA or associated groups.

Transgender students are those who feel as though their biological sex and gender identity don’t align with one another.

For those who are unaware of the exact difference, biological sex is what is on your birth certificate while gender identity is the social and cultural “norms” associated with a certain sex.

The first resolution targeted the residence halls, establishing IUSA support for the implementation of gender-neutral restrooms on single-gender floors with more than one ?restroom.

Meanwhile, the second resolution dealt specifically with student identification cards and was modeled ?after Purdue University.

The resolution vocalized IUSA support for a system that would allow students to place their preferred name on their ID cards.

The legal name would still be printed on the back of the card in the ideal implementation outlined in the resolution.

The resolution also supported the Office of the Registrar allowing students to register with their ?preferred name.

For transgender students, it can be downright dangerous or devastating to be forced to come out to a lecture hall of students, many of whom may not ?understand your identity.

I hoped that this would allow transgender students to avoid being “outed” to students, faculty and staff every time they start a new class or use their ID.

Both of these resolutions, however, require the administration and staff of the university to work with students to implement these plans.

And, unfortunately, these are both initiatives that many students and staff members have attempted to push through, only for them to be shut down before completion.

IU’s administration does great things. President Michael McRobbie, Provost Lauren Robel and the Board of Trustees have given IU great new ventures and opportunities.

But instead of new majors or improvements to campus buildings, these are issues that directly affect many students’ safety and comfort while attending IU.

According to higher education research, lack of gender neutral restrooms can often result in verbal or physical assault for ?transgender people.

IU does not rank in the Top 10 Trans-Friendly Schools, according to ?CampusPride.

For the safety and sake of all students across campus, it’s about time we move forward on this issue and stop living in the past.

I urge all students, administrators, faculty and staff to have conversations on these issues until they’re resolved.

Until then, I won’t stop.