Homecoming weekend events

Fight Song

As the leaves change and familiar faces return to town, it is the time of year when we recall the qualities of IU that make Bloomington so unique. Although Homecoming traditions have come and gone throughout the last several decades, there is one aspect that has never disappeared. IU's strong alumni support.

Last year, the IU Alumni Association decided to break a long-lasting tradition and forgo a typical Homecoming theme. Instead, the IUAA made the theme internal to focus on IU school spirit. In continuation with this, the association is deeming this year's theme as "Welcome Home." Home can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, but with an alumni base of over 600,000 Hoosiers there is one thing we all still share in common, calling IU a home. The IUAA has organized several events and attractions offered to alumni and students throughout the weekend.

As students, our time here is limited, but the best part about departing is knowing we can always return. Whether it is enjoying a crisp morning at tailgate fields before the football game, rekindling with old friends or walking through a special part of campus off the beaten path, take some time during these next few days to remember why IU is special to you. 

Welcome back.

What to do this weekend:

Friday, Oct. 17

Public Health Lecture Series: Ruth Clifford Ends Lecture

1-2 p.m.

School of Public Health, 1025 E. Seventh St., PH C100

Dr. Georges Benjamin, Executive Director of the American Public Health Association, will talk about health issues that have the most impact on our country today. The lecture is sponsored by the Ruth Clifford Ends Lectureship Series and the School of Public Health.

Inauguration of Media School and Dedication of Ernie Pyle Sculpture

2 p.m.

Presidents Hall in Franklin Hall, 601 E. Kirkwood Avenue

IU President Michael McRobbie will inaugurate the University’s new Media School, which will combine communication and culture, telecommunications and journalism into one school. The public is welcome to attend.

School of Public Health Alumni Reception

2:30-5:30 p.m.

School of Public Health, 1025 E. Seventh St.

School of Public Health alumni, students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend as the school celebrates homecoming week. Food, games and giveaways will be offered for those who attend.

Homecoming parade and pep rally

5:30 p.m.

Dunn Meadow

Spectators are encouraged to stand along Kirkwood Avenue, Indiana Avenue or in Dunn Meadow to watch this year’s parade. Following right after the parade at the Sample Gates will be the pep rally along with the announcement of this year’s Homecoming Court King and Queen winners.

Jay Leno live

8 p.m.

IU Auditorium, 1211 E. Seventh St.

Late night legend Jay Leno will perform in Bloomington on Friday night in one of his first live comedy shows since his departure from television.

20,000 Days on Earth film showing

9:30-11:15 p.m.

IU Cinema, 1213 E. Seventh St.

The IU Cinema will have a showing of the dramatic film about international musician Nick Cave and his experiences.

Saturday, Oct. 18

Guided IU campus tour

2-4 p.m.

Sample Gates on Kirkwood and Indiana avenues

Take a stroll through IU’s campus and learn about the history of the University on a two-hour guided tour.

“Godzilla” film showing

3-4:45 p.m.

IU Cinema, 1213 E. Seventh St.

The IU Cinema will show the 1954 Japanese classic “Godzilla” to celebrate 60 years of the film. Admission is free for children 12 years of age and under.

Football game vs. Michigan State

3:30 p.m.

Memorial Stadium, 1001 E. 17th St.

The IU football team will take on the Michigan State Spartans in an attempt to win back the Old Brass Spittoon for the time since 2006.