County Council candidates talk experience

Four of the seven seats on the Monroe County Council are up for election Nov. 4. The county council is responsible for budgets and all other fiscal duties of the Monroe County government.

District 1

Shelli Yoder (D)

Yoder previously ran for Congress in 2012 and lost to Todd Young. Yoder earned her master’s degree from Vanderbilt University and now works as a lecturer in the Kelley School of Business. Yoder has served on the county council since she was appointed by the Democratic caucus in January 2013. ?

Nelson Shaffer (R)

Shaffer recently retired from his position as geology professor at IU. Shaffer, originally from Ohio, received his undergraduate degree from Ohio State University and his doctorate in applied geology from IU. Shaffer said he does not want to raise taxes but wants to increase revenue by encouraging tourism in Monroe County.

District 2

Ryan Cobine (D)

Cobine is a lifelong Monroe County resident and has worked in information technology at IU for the past 18 years. Cobine has also been on the Bloomington City Traffic Commission since 2013. Cobine said he wants to make sure county employees are being compensated fairly. ?

Brian Ellison (R)

Ellison has worked as a global project manager for Hewlett-Packard Co. for the past 22 years. Originally from Kokomo, Ellison previously ran for the Monroe County Council at-large seat in 2012. Ellison said he is concerned with how the county can raise revenue without raising taxes.

District 3

Jeff Carson (D)

Carson is the owner of Carson’s Catering and BBQ in Ellettsville, Ind. Carson previously ran for a county at-large seat in 2012 and said he believes there should be more diversity represented in the Monroe County government.

Marty Hawk (R)

Hawk has served on the Monroe County Council since 1988. In addition to her work on the council, Hawk has worked in real estate. Hawk said she is concerned about the county’s budget, specifically in respect to payroll.

District 4

Rick Dietz (D)

Dietz is the incumbent, having represented District 4 for the past three years. An alumnus of IU, Dietz said he has experience with budgets in local governments. He has served as the IT director for the City of Bloomington for 10 years. Dietz said he wants the county government to encourage economic development and availability of services for its citizens.

Greg Knott (R)

Knott, who could not be reached for comment, previously ran for Congress in Indiana’s District 9 as a libertarian candidate, according to votesmart.org. Steve Hogan, chair of the Monroe County Republican Party, said Knott is an outspoken person who would be an active member on the Monroe County Council.