Purdue shooter Cody Cousins found dead of apparent suicide

Cody Cousins

Cody Cousins, the man who shot and killed Purdue University student Andrew Boldt, 21, in January, was found dead in his Indiana State Prison cell in Michigan City, Ind.

Cousins had arrived at the prison less than a week ago.

He died as a result of an apparent suicide, Indiana State Prison Superintendent Ron Neal reported.

Cousins was found unresponsive at 8:55 p.m. Tuesday night in his single cell in the prison.

“A medical emergency was called when it was determined the offender had self-inflicted lacerations to his neck and both arms,” a press release from the prison noted. “Staff attempted CPR to no avail.”

Cousins was declared dead at about 9:20 p.m. Tuesday evening. He was 24 ?years old.

Cousins pleaded guilty in August to slaying Boldt, according to an Associated Press report.

Both were teaching assistants in Purdue’s electrical engineering program.

Boldt was shot five times and suffered 19 stab wounds and lacerations. He was killed in a classroom full of students in the Electrical Engineering Building on ?Purdue’s campus.

After killing Boldt, Cousins left the building, surrendering himself in to police.

Cousins was sentenced to 65 years in prison, the maximum sentence, on Sept. 19.

At his sentencing, he told the court that he had lied to doctors about his mental ?illness.

“I killed Andrew Boldt because I wanted to,” he ?testified.

Cousins’ estimated release date was July 22, 2046. He arrived at the state prison Oct. 23, 2014.

Cousins’ death is under investigation by Indiana State Prison’s Internal Affairs Office and the LaPorte County Coroner’s Office.