Campus group performs Spanish plays today

For the eighth year in a row, Grupo de Teatro VIDA is performing its fall show today, Friday and Saturday.

The group will perform four different plays 7:30 p.m. at the Bloomington Playwrights Project.

It will also perform at the Indy Fringe Theater in Indianapolis at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 14 and 15.

Each performance is free and open to the public.

Grupo de Teatro VIDA is a campus group dedicated to performing Spanish-language plays and has partnered for the first time with the Portuguese language department.

The fall show’s theme is “Encerrados,” or close quarters. Each of the four plays being performed is linked to the theme.

Grupo de Teatro VIDA will perform three Spanish-language plays and one Portuguese-language play.

The first show, “Un hogar solido,” tells the story of a family of corpses who tell stories of Mexican history and daily life from its home in the mausoleum. The play was written in 1958 by Elena Garro.

“La trampa” is a 1963 play from Puerto Rico written by Myrna Casas. It follows a family who locks undesirable members of the family in closets, basements and attics, according to the group’s website.

The third play is “El presidente,” a 2009 piece created by Enrique Buenaventura that tells the story of how the influences of corruption change the Colombian ?government.

The final play is a Portuguese play called “Farsa de Ines Pereira” from 1523 and written by Gil Vicente.

The main character, Ines, is greedy, lazy and attempts to solve her boredom of being a bachelorette by getting married.