‘Breaking Bad’ actor speaks about performance experience

Jonathan Banks

Actor and IU alumnus Jonathan Banks spoke about his film and television career at the IU Cinema on Monday to a theater that was filled to capacity.

Banks, who attended IU in the 1970s, has since appeared in notable roles such as Professor Buzz Hickey in “Community” and Frank McPike in “Wiseguy.” Banks most recently played the role of Mike Ehrmantraut on the award-winning television ?drama “Breaking Bad.”

The lecture was a conversation between Banks and Jonathan Michaelsen, chair of the Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance.

“It is vital for our students to have contact with professional artists — in Jonathan’s case, this means learning how he approaches acting and what training he recommends,” ?Michaelsen said.

Stephen Frazier, a junior majoring in exercise science, said he began watching “Breaking Bad” during the third season. He said he enjoyed how Banks portrayed Mike Ehrmantraut’s professionalism combined with his dark past.

Banks said when he saw Donald O’Connor perform in “Singing in the Rain,” he knew he wanted to be an actor. Banks’ first paycheck was in 1967 from the Brown County ?Playhouse, he said.

Banks said though he dropped out of IU, he still had a strong desire to be in the entertainment business. His first stage job was being the second assistant stage manager in the production of “Hair” at the Shubert Theatre. He said he came by the job by being at the right place at the right time.

“I do believe there are good actors, I truly do, but I don’t kid myself about the amount of luck involved with being an actor,” Banks said.

Banks has appeared in 60 television programs and 45 films, but he said his favorite was “Breaking Bad.” He said the cast, writers and crew made it a pleasure to go to work.

“Vince Gilligan and the rest of the staff are so proud of what they do, and they should be, but they are very protective over the plot and their characters,” he said.

He said on a show like “Breaking Bad,” directors expect actors to do the majority of the work.

“The one piece of advice Vince gave me was to use less stink eye,” Banks said. “As an actor, your job is to act off of what you are given and give a role everything you have. If you aren’t going to be there mentally and emotionally, it’s not worth it for anyone.”

Banks said he found out about his character’s death during Aaron Paul’s engagement party. He said he knew how important the scene was for the writers and directors and that he felt the final product belonged in the show.

Banks said he had a disagreement with Gilligan about Ehrmantraut’s demeanor.

“There was a line that went, ‘There are bad cops and there are good criminals,’ but I don’t think Mike was a good criminal,” Banks said. “Mike knew what he was doing was wrong and knows that he has lost his soul, but he continues to do what he does. There is no justification for him to treat people like that.”

From his roles, Banks said he has learned the most important piece of advice to give to aspiring actors and entertainment professionals is to believe in themselves and to be kind.

“The work we do isn’t easy, and you have to remember that the constant rejection has nothing to do with you,” he said. “The real success is on your dying day, laying your head down on your pillow and knowing that you are a proud artist.”

While visiting IU, Banks participated in the Homecoming parade, taught a master class and spoke at the inauguration of the Media School. Additionally, he personally greeted all of the guests outside of IU Cinema who arrived after the seats were filled.

“This place is a magnet to me,” Banks said at the close of the lecture. “I always have to come back.”