sports golf

Tong leads Hoosiers at Cougar Classic

The IU women’s golf team sits in 18th place after two rounds in the Powerade Cougar Classic in Charleston, S.C.

The Hoosiers shot a team score of 294 on day two, improving by 14 strokes on their opening round score, 308.

IU is currently 26-over-par. Arkansas leads the field at nine-under-par. Big Ten rival Wisconsin is in 11th place at 14-over-par.

Senior Elizabeth Tong sits in a five-way tie for ninth place at three-under-par. After firing a one-over round on day one, Tong responded to herself with a four-under 68 on day two to jump up 22 spots on the leaderboard.

Tong sits eight shots behind Wake Forest’s Sierra Sims for the individual lead but sits only two shots behind Arkansas’ Regina Plasencia for sixth place.

Tong enters her senior season after a successful summer campaign including a trip to the U.S. Women’s Open. She also advanced to the round of 32 at the U.S. Women’s Amateur.

She tallied five top-25 finishes for the Hoosiers last season and will look to improve upon that number this year.

Junior golfer Camille Chevalier is second among Hoosiers at six-over-par in a tie for 58th place.

Junior Marissa Decola is at 11-over-par in a tie for 89th. Freshman Taylor Wowerton is at 15-over-par in a tie for 107th, and freshman Alix Kong is at 17-over-par in a tie for 111th.

The final round of the Cougar Classic will take place today.