Television influences fashion trends

Elegant beads and beading have been made popular again thanks to shows like HBO's Downton Abbey, an indication that television influences the way we dress.

The television shows you watch may have a bigger influence on what you wear than you thought. Ever wonder why you wear what you do?

Maybe it’s just personal preference. Maybe it’s a matter of affordability. Or maybe you’re just following what’s “in” right now. But who, exactly, decides what’s “in”?

While the runways will always serve as an inspiration for the trends of the season, there is another key source from which we will continually see the “latest” fashions arising: television.

Marketplace radio brought up a good point during one of its programs last week, as it discussed the new line from The Limited in partnership with the hit ABC series ?“Scandal.”

The show has grown in popularity throughout the past few years and has left some fans longing to channel their inner smart, chic Olivia Pope, the show’s main character, played by Kerry ?Washington.

Not only has ABC succeeded in establishing a captivated audience, they have now lined themselves up to make an even larger profit through merchandising. And they are certainly not the only ones.

Marketplace also mentioned the brief period when “Mad Men” had a position in the retail industry and inspired a collection at Banana Republic stores.

The fad only lasted a matter of time, but there was a major influx in sales during the show’s peak.

Currently, the wildly popular “Downton Abbey,” a PBS Masterpiece series set during the early 20th century, is influencing the way designers and shoppers are thinking.

With riding boots, elaborate beading and faux fur coming back to the store racks and shelves, it probably is not just a coincidence.

It’s funny how the ideas we’ve been discussing in a design class of mine relate so well to what is happening in the fashion world.

We talked about product placement last week, and it’s a very similar thing to what these clothing companies are investing in.

We watch a show or a film and often strive to achieve what the characters in it have or wish to appear like them.

Take the classic 1994 Oscar winner “Forrest Gump,” for example. Remember the scene where he drank about 15 Dr. Peppers?

Of course you do. Anyone who has seen that movie does. Ever consider how much more Dr. Pepper sold after that movie was released?

Pop culture affects all of us to some degree, even if we might not notice it or refuse to admit it.

While product placement is nothing new, the push to collaborate with advertisers and merchandisers in the media seems to be crucial now more than ever. Businesses are always on the hunt for bigger and better and, through celebrity and television promotion, they’re well on their way.

The fast pace of the fashion industry has always been about what’s new and what’s next, which means great news and big business for the television shows and movies of the future.