SPEA to sponsor NPR series

The IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs will be the exclusive underwriter for National Public Radio’s “Cities Project.”

The “Cities Project” is a series of broadcasts and digital reports beginning this week that will air during the NPR programs “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered,” according to the University.

The two programs have a combined audience of more than 25 million listeners.

“Morning Edition” airs from 5 to 8 a.m. Monday through Friday on WFIU, the NPR affiliate on campus. “All Things Considered” airs from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

They will be broadcast nationwide, according to the University.

NPR programs broadcast on more than 900 member stations.

The “Cities Project” explores development challenges facing modern urban areas and the solutions to these issues, according to the University.

“Where We Live” broadcasts will look into how historic divisions within cities play into planning for demographic shifts and disaster planning, according to the University.

“How We Live broadcasts will focus on urban design and “How We Get Around” broadcasts will look into transportation and ?infrastructure.

Each broadcast of the “Cities Project” will include a message from SPEA, according to the University.

SPEA messages will also be presented alongside “Cities Project” content online.

On Nov. 13, in an open forum in the SPEA atrium, senior producers from the “Cities Project” will speak about urban resilience and the roles that location, ?urban design and transportation play in the development of cities.

“The NPR audience includes many in government and higher education, as well as leaders of corporations and nonprofits,” SPEA Executive Associate Dean David Reingold said in the University release. “This is a way for SPEA to communicate our values and goals to a broader group of stakeholders.”