Orchestra to perform at Jacobs Wednesday

The Jacobs School of Music Symphony Orchestra will perform 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Musical Arts Center.

The Symphony Orchestra is a group of music school students who perform regularly at the school.

This concert is one of three that are scheduled for this semester. This October and November, the orchestra will once again take the stage.

Wednesday the musicians are scheduled to perform three different pieces: “Weber: Overture to ‘Euryanthe,’” “Siberius: Tapiola Op. 112” and “Dvorak: Symphony No. 9 in E Minor, Op. 95.”

At Wednesday’s concert, they will be conducted by music professor David Effron.

Effron was the conductor of the Grammy Award-winning recording of Copland’s Lincoln Portrait narrated by William Warfield, ?according to the music school.

He was also involved in a Pantheon recording with soprano Benita Valente, which won the German Record Critics’ Award.

Effron has conducted 105 operas around the world, working in New York, Los Angeles and ?Germany.

He served on the conducting staff of the New York City Opera for 18 years and is the music director of the Youngstown Symphony Orchestra, according to Jacobs.

Effron was also the head of the orchestral program at Eastman School of Music.

Since 1998, he has worked in the conducting department of the music school.

According to the music school, his former conducting students currently hold music director positions in the United States, Canada, Europe, Japan and South America.

The concert is free and open to the public.

“Behind the Score,” the following concert conducted by Cliff Colnot, will open Oct. 22. “The Last Savage” will open Nov. 14 with four shows occurring within a two-week period. Constantine Kitsopoulos will be ?conducting.