Notebook: Sudfeld regains 2013 form, defense and special teams struggle

IU lost to Bowling Green 45-42 on a last-second Falcons touchdown Saturday.

There were plenty of storylines worth following in a game that included an impressive outing from junior quarterback Nate Sudfeld and struggles from both the defense and special teams.

Sudfeld, passing game impressive

What could have easily gotten lost in Saturday’s game was the noticeably improved play of Sudfeld and the Hoosier passing game.

Sudfeld completed 31-of-41 passes for 347 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.

Arguably most impressive was his near game-winning drive capped off by a one-yard touchdown score where he dove over the top of the line of scrimmage on a fourth-and-goal opportunity.

He managed to just barely get the ball to cross the scoring plane to give IU the lead before Bowling Green went on its eventual game-winning drive in response.

In total, Sudfeld managed to complete passes to seven different receivers. He also managed to lead a balanced offense that also ran for 242 yards.

“I felt comfortable coming into this,” Sudfeld said. “I was real excited. I think the coaches did a good job of getting me in rhythm early, then I just felt like I couldn’t miss throughout the game.”

Senior wide receiver Shane Wynn had 10 catches for 139 yards. Fellow senior Nick Stoner had five catches and 59 yards of his own.

Freshman wideout J-Shun Harris had an impressive road-debut of his own, hauling in seven catches for 68 yards and a touchdown.

“We just have to keep coming, trust the system, trust what we’re doing and make big plays,” Sudfeld said. “We’re not far off. We just have to keep working.”

Defense tested often, struggles

After an impressive opening outing against Indiana State, the new-look IU defense showed flashes of the team that struggled throughout last season.

IU allowed 571 yards and for Bowling Green to convert on seven-of-18 third-down attempts and two-of-four fourth-down attempts.

The Hoosiers regularly struggled to get the Falcons off of the field.

Bowling Green turned the ball over twice — and failed on fourth down twice — but only punted once Saturday late in the first quarter.

In the second half, Bowling Green scored five touchdowns on seven drives.

Combine that with the fast-faced, up-tempo offense Bowling Green prefers to run, and the Hoosier defenders ended up being out on the field for 113 plays.

To put that number in perspective, the IU defense was only on the field for 57 plays against Indiana State.

“Obviously there’s fatigue after 113 plays, no doubt,” junior linebacker Nick Mangieri said.

Special team stumbles

Though it is early, the IU kicking game has seen its share of struggles early.

Sophomore kicker Aaron Del Grosso pushed his lone field goal attempt from 39 yards to the right Saturday. He also missed a 28-yarder against Indiana State in week one.

Junior punter Erich Toth had three punts that went 43, 22 and 10 yards. His 43-yard punt rolled into the endzone.

After kicking his punt that netted 10 yards, Toth dropped his head as he walked off to the sidelines. The wind was definitely a factor Saturday, and both his 22- and 10-yard punts were into it.