Notebook: Hoosiers look to build momentum

Senior cornerback Kenny Mullen falls after trying to tackle Missouri Tigers running back Marcus Murphy on Saturday at Faurot Field, in Columbia, Mo. Mullen injured his leg on the play and will be out for the remainder of the season.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson likes to think short term when it comes to results.

To Wilson, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. Then he moves on. On Sunday, he was already showing his team film of Maryland.

IU senior wide receiver Nick Stoner said the Hoosiers have a former United States Marine who comes and talks to the team.

One of the Marine’s messages that has resonated with Stoner after IU’s upset victory against Missouri last weekend was to not let that win be the peak of the season.

“He says some people think you learn more about a team after a loss, but he thinks you learn more about a team after a win,” Stoner said. “I think that’s the biggest thing, is to not get complacent and get even more hungry to get wins like that.”

Stoner compared IU’s upset win against Missouri to the Hoosiers’ win against Penn State last season in terms of significance.

He added that it may serve as a springboard heading into the conference season this weekend against Maryland.

IU rebounded after a loss against Bowling Green with a victory against Missouri. Now, Wilson wants to see how the Hoosiers respond after a win.

“We’ll see if we have the guts and the discipline to just prepare and give ourselves a chance to go play hard again,” Wilson said.

“I’m just wanting our kids to kind of keep the focus on how you prepare, and let’s keep putting together good weeks and see how many (wins) we can stack up.”

Two defensive players out for season

Wilson announced that senior cornerback Kenny Mullen and sophomore linebacker Marcus Oliver will miss the rest of the season due to injuries.

Both injuries occurred in non-contact plays in IU’s 31-27 win against Missouri. on Saturday.

Wilson said he didn’t get detailed medical information, but he believes they’re both ACL-related injuries that will end the season.

Because IU has only played three games, Wilson said they both may qualify for medical redshirts.

“So even though they played, it’s not going to be a wasted year,” Wilson said. “So they’re fortunate. They’re two of our better backups and special teams guys.”

Wilson said nearly every defensive player who traveled to Missouri played. Because of the injuries to Mullen and Oliver, other younger players will need to step up, he said.

“We’ve got a lot of young guys,” Wilson said. “So unfortunate for Kenny and Marcus. Two great kids and great players, but we need to move on. We’ll need those guys to be great leaders for us and keep bringing some energy because they’re veterans. But we’ll need some young guys to keep ?stepping up.”

Special teams rebounds

IU awarded both junior punter Erich Toth and freshman kicker Griffin Oakes with co-Special Teams ?Players of the Week honors.

Toth averaged 44 yards on eight punts Saturday. His longest punt was 52 yards and he had three that put the Tigers inside their own ?20-yard line.

Oakes converted on two extra points in the second half and had four kickoffs, three of which went into the end zone for a touchback.

Sophomore kicker Aaron Del Grosso, who started Saturday, made a 23-yard attempt to end the first half as time expired but missed a 41-yard attempt in the third quarter.

Wilson said Del Grosso is “still in the mix” but has been rebounding from a lingering groin injury. He wouldn’t say who would be kicking Saturday against Maryland.

“Griff answered the deal at kicker, and we’ll see what happens this week as we prepare the chart,” Wilson said. “We think they’re all good.”