Maurice Creek to play in Netherlands

IUBB v James Madison

Former IU basketball player Maurice Creek, who played three seasons in Bloomington before transferring to finish his career at George Washington, has signed to play professionally in the Netherlands.

Creek, a 6-foot-5 guard, will join the Den Helder Kings of the Dutch Basketball League, the Netherlands’ highest level of professional basketball. Den Helder is a city of roughly 56,000 located at the very tip of North Holland, the country’s northernmost province.

Den Helder is one of the most successful clubs in Dutch basketball, having captured the national championship six times in its 33-year history. Creek becomes the fifth American on the Kings’ roster.

He announced the move via his Twitter account Monday morning.

“Finally get to purse (sic) my dream as a professional basketball player,” he tweeted. “NETHERLANDS IT IS.”

A top-60 recruit in high school, Creek made his mark soon after joining the IU program. In his ninth career collegiate game, he poured in 31 points against No. 4 Kentucky, vaulting him into the top tier of NBA Draft discussions.

He suffered a season-ending injury three games later and played only 30 games in the next two seasons, missing the entirety of the 2011-12 season. He returned to the court in the 2012-13 season, playing in 24 games before transferring to George Washington at season’s end.

Creek’s injury issues disappeared at George Washington, and he played in all 32 games in the 2013-14 season, averaging 14.1 points and 3.4 rebounds per game.

He becomes the eighth member of IU’s 2012 and 2013 Sweet 16 teams to join the professional ranks.