Local artists to demonstrate at Venue

Linda Meyer-Wright will demonstrate two forms of painting at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Venue Fine Art and Gifts.

She will demonstrate encaustic and alcohol ink painting on Yupo, which is a synthetic paper.

Gabriel Colman, owner and curator of the Venue, said Meyer-Wright has been a member of the community for years.

Her involvement with his store has lasted for four.

He brought the artist into his store because her work is unusual and non-traditional, he said.

“It’s something you don’t see often,” Colman said.

Encaustic is the ancient technique of creating paintings in wax, with examples found intact dating back to the fifth century.

To create her encaustic works, Meyer-Wright manipulates hot wax that is applied in layers and then fused.

With each layer the work becomes harder and more dimensional.

From there, it can be carved, sculpted, molded and scrapped.

The type of wax used varies. It can be clear or pigmented, opaque, translucent or transparent.

Colman described her work as non-representational. It’s very bright and optimistic, he said.

In her alcohol ink paintings, Meyer-Wright paints on Yupo, with results that are impromptu, dramatic and bright, according to the Venue.

“Her ink paintings are very, very vivid in color,” Colman said, pointing out that her work uses dramatic color changes.

Alcohol ink on Yupo is a modern technique that creates spontaneous and vividly colorful paintings.

Yupo is a new type of paper that artists can use.

Colman said that unlike traditional watercolor paper that absorbs the ink, Yupo will initially resist the color.

This inevitably will affect the style of the work because of the paper’s random color adoption.

Meyer-Wright commonly works in abstract landscapes for her ink work.

Her work is suggestive, Colman said.

As far as the work is concerned, it’s not supposed to be obvious as to what landscape he or she is viewing.

However, he said her play in contrast and negative space helps bring the reader toward a landscaped ?conclusion.

Colman said her style is reflected in two ways.

First, she uses traditional styles and techniques while creating with modern ?materials.

Meyer-Wright’s usage of Yupo is one example of this, Colman said.

Second, her work always represents her “charming personality” in her vivid ?color use.

Meyer-Wright’s presentation will be informative and interactive, according to the Venue’s release.

She will demonstrate her artistic technique to Venue attendees, Colman said.

“What she’s presenting on Tuesday is a part of her show,” Colman said.

Meyer-Wright will be exhibiting some of her artwork at the Venue, along with collaborative work she created with fellow artist Larry Wright.

Her work can be seen at the Venue through Oct. 3.