Lecture to discuss national security

Wednesday will mark the 10th-annual national Constitution Day.

In celebration, the Maurer School of Law will be host to Geoffrey Stone, professor of law at the University of Chicago, to give a lecture about national security.

Stone was chosen by President Obama to serve in a five-member group reviewing intelligence and communication technologies, according to a Sept. 11 press release.

This review group assembled a 300-page report discussing the legal framework and aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks as well as future steps for dealing with the collection and security of both foreign and domestic intelligence, according to the Liberty and Security in a Changing World report.

The 46 recommendations sent to President Obama included proposals to restrict government power to collect and store all mass, undigested and non-public personal information, according to the report.

It also suggested that bulk storage of telephone meta-data collected by the government should be terminated as reasonably as possible to a private provider or private third party.

Stone will address these decisions and others made by the review group during his lecture.

Stone’s lecture will also discuss some of the National Security Agency’s current policies as well as its most controversial ones, including the dealings of Edward Snowden, according to the University.  The lecture will take place at noon Wednesday in Maurer 123. The event is free and open to the public.