IU walks for World Heart Day

Nelda Montemayor and Mazias de Oliveira walk to Sholwalter Fountain to finish their one mile walk in observance of World Heart Day in recognition of the high rates of heart disease related deaths in Indiana. "Coming out here and seeing everyone wanting to be healthy, I think that's a motivator," Montemayor said.

As the temperature began to rise Monday afternoon, IU students, faculty and staff were in front of Showalter Fountain dressed in white T-shirts with the slogan “Done with 41” across the chest.

The phrase was in reference to Indiana’s ranking out of 50 states in overall health. The group prepared to take part in a one-mile walk in honor of World Heart Day.

IU School of Public Health Dean Mohammad Torabi said physical activity is the medicine that can have a silver-bullet effect in the lives of individuals.

“It’s free,” Torabi said. “It costs nothing and has enormous impact on physical, mental, spiritual, social and academic well-being. There is no medication out there that can compare with physical activity.”

World Heart Day was founded by the World Heart Federation to raise awareness and provide information on the subjects of heart disease and stroke, which are the leading causes of death in the world.

Participants walked from Showalter Fountain to the red brick trail near the Sample Gates, passing through the woods and eventually returning to the fountain.

In addition to the one-mile trek that awaited them, walkers also had to navigate the massive crowds of students going to and from class while skillfully avoiding the IU Dance Marathon flash mob dancing in the street in front of Ballantine Hall.

Torabi noted that, though it was the first year of the World Heart Day walk at IU, he anticipates it becoming an annual event that will draw larger crowds in years to come.

Walkers returned to Showalter Fountain at the conclusion of the walk. Walk attendee Mazias De Oliveira noted that, though the walk seemed long, he enjoyed the scenery and being able to spend time with friends while completing the mile.

“For some reason it felt like it was longer than a mile, but it actually went pretty nicely,” De Oliveira said. “The route was really nice, and it was nice to do it with friends. And I think that made it a little shorter.”

Susan Todd, administrative secretary for the School of Public Health, said it was good to get out of the office, and the fact that she likes to walk made it a good experience for her.

Nelda Montemayor finished the walk feeling encouraged to do more.

“It makes you more energetic,” Montemayor said. “When you are actually participating in it, then you can envision yourself doing it, and then you start thinking you should be doing this more and you are more empowered to do it.”

Montemayor mentioned that because of the nature of office work it is easy to think you don’t have time to participate in this kind of activity.

However, after the walk she noted there are different factors that can inspire anyone to be active at IU.

“Coming out here and seeing everyone wanting to be healthy, I think that’s a motivator,” Montemayor said. “We’ve got a beautiful campus ... resources here for us. We should take advantage of them.”