IU men's soccer to face off against UCF

IUMSvsButler

The IU men’s team (4-1-2) is taking a familiar approach against an unfamiliar opponent as it prepares to face University of Central Florida (1-4-1) on Wednesday.

The statistics may indicate that the Golden Knights have been struggling this season, but it’s close games that have been problematic. UCF has lost each of its matches by one goal with three of those matches taking place on the road.

Being what IU Coach Todd Yeagley calls an “out-of-region team,” there is little familiarity between the two sides.

“This is probably one of the few games where I don’t know anybody on their team,” IU senior Patrick Doody said. “Most of the time I at least know one or two guys.”

IU and UCF have played only once before — a 3-0 IU victory in 1998. However, Yeagley sees many similarities between UCF and IU’s most recent opponent, Rutgers.

“The best example is Rutgers because they put numbers forward,” Yeagley said. “They’re good individual players who create on their own. We just have to be really spot-on ?defensively.”

UCF plays a 4-4-2 formation, as opposed to Rutgers 3-4-3 formation, but the shape of both teams is still similar.

Both teams send numbers forward toward goal, leaving the opposing defense under fire on counter attacks if they fail to ?maintain possession.

IU controlled the pace of the game against Rutgers, leading to a 2-1 victory.

While the two goals and nine shots on goal against Rutgers were both season highs, Yeagley said he feels IU should have had more.

“Their keeper made some good saves,” Yeagley said. “I don’t want to take anything away from their keeper, but again, we have to be a little bit more ?composed.”

In practice Monday, IU spent a lot of time practicing finishing from 22 yards out and closer.

“That’s where we get a lot of our chances, and that’s where most goals are scored,” Yeagley said.

It’s not as if the two goals were meaningless, however.

Doody said it was important that both junior Femi Hollinger-Janzen and ?sophomore Tanner Thompson were able to find the back of the net.

“They’re going to continue to have chances, so I think it was a big night for them,” Doody said. ?“Hopefully they can stay hot.”

The goal was the first of the season for Thompson, but not for lack of ?opportunities.

Entering Wednesday’s match, Thompson leads the team in both total shots and shots on goal with 21 total and eight on frame.

Thompson has also had a number of chances he has passed up in favor of trying to set up a teammate with a scoring chance. Thompson leads the team with two assists this season.

Yeagley said he has been in great spots to finish, but good goalkeeping has forced Thompson into making ?extra passes.

IU also allowed only its third goal of the season against Rutgers. Through seven matches in the prior season, IU allowed nine goals.

“Teams aren’t getting easy looks, and that’s a positive,” Yeagley said. “Teams are having to earn goals against us, and if we’re not getting the bagel, it’s pretty close to it.”