sports men's soccer

IU men's soccer defeats Kentucky

IU freshman Trevor Swartz scored the first goal of his career, and IU’s only goal, in its 1-0 victory against Kentucky on Friday.

The game was delayed and eventually ended due to lightning in the 78th minute. Since the game had passed the 70 minute mark it was considered official according to NCAA rules.

Another factor of the lightning was the inability to play the nightcap of the Mike Berticelli Tournament, Notre Dame vs. Dartmouth. Due to this, IU’s second game of the weekend against Dartmouth has now been moved to 1 p.m. Monday.

Entering the season, a topic of discussion was how well the 10 IU freshman and three transfers would cope with the rigors of Big Ten soccer.

After three games, the freshmen are still the topic of conversation but for a different reason.

Two of IU’s three goals this season have come off the feet of freshmen. The first came from Michael Riedford against Marquette, the only goal in a 1-0 win.

“We knew it was going to be committee and we knew that some of these freshman were going to have to step in and it’s played out like that,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “The freshmen are playing a big part of this young team.”

Swartz’ goal Friday was also assisted by sophomore Tanner Thompson, whom Swartz played club soccer with in California’s Central Valley.

“That definitely makes it a little more special having him get the assist on it,” Swartz said.

The kids have been alright in the back as well, especially Grant Lillard. Lillard played every minute of the IU Credit Union Classic, and was only forced off in the first half against Kentucky due to sickness.

He would return to play all 45 minutes of the second half to ice the victory.

“He just didn’t feel well,” Yeagley said. “His stomach was pretty bad, he might have gotten sick. Something was bothering him but he bounced back pretty kick and was able to help us in the second half.”

Overall, however, Yeagley felt that his team’s performance was subpar in the first half. He said his team looked sluggish against a Kentucky team who Yeagley said fought and played really hard.

Yeagley attributed the sluggishness to a multitude of reasons.

It was the Hoosiers' first game since the IU Credit Union Classic, a game which Yeagley said his team always struggles in.

“This has always been a tough bounce back game from the classic,” Yeagley said. “I told our guys you have to be ready for Kentucky and I thought we were a little sluggish.”

Another reason for the sluggish play was the muggy conditions. Game time temperature was 88 degrees with a fair amount of humidity, causing the pitch to slow down the ball.

“The biggest factor was the very hot conditions,” Yeagley said. “The field was very thick, and played very slow. Our field are fast and we were used to that condition.”

Still, Yeagley credits his player’s ability to get a win despite not being in top form.

“They’re able to keep zeroes and get a result,” Yeagley said. “We can build on that as we continue to get better.”