Ind. files appeal for Circuit Court's ruling

Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller filed a petition Tuesday to appeal the state’s same-sex marriage case to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Tuesday was the last day for the state to file its appeal petition to be considered to be heard during the 2014-15 term, according to a press release from the Attorney General’s office.

The appeal follows last week’s ruling by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, which stated that same-sex marriage bans in Indiana and Wisconsin were ?unconstitutional.

Six women from Indiana filed a complaint in March against their counties’ clerks and the attorney general. They argued Indiana’s ban on same-sex marriage violated their 14th Amendment right to equal protection and due process.

The case gained attention in June after U.S. District Court Judge Richard Young issued his ruling without stay, allowing gay Indiana couples to marry for two days before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals issued an ?emergency stay.

The appeals court heard the case Aug. 26 and issued its ruling a week later.

Appeals have also been made by Wisconsin, Utah, Oklahoma and Virginia.

“Our state, nation and all persons involved need a final, unambiguous and conclusive answer from the Supreme Court on the legal authority of states to license marriages, and we ask the court to take up this question through either our case or another case at its earliest opportunity and end the uncertainty,” Zoeller said in the release.

The Supreme Court will choose which cases it will hear for its term Sept. 29. Case arguments for the upcoming term begin Oct. 6.