Hootenanny at the Venue cancelled after news of alleged ISIS beheading

This week’s hootenanny at the Venue Fine Art and Gifts was canceled Tuesday in light of the execution of an American journalist by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

The White House, as of Tuesday evening, had yet to officially confirm the authenticity of a video showing the apparent decapitation of Steven Sotloff, 31.

Sotloff, who was abducted in Syria in August 2013, according to the New York Times, is the second American journalist beheaded by ISIS.

The Committee to Protect Journalists has described Syria as the most dangerous country in the world for journalists for at least two years now.

“Journalists know that covering war is inherently dangerous and that they could get killed in crossfire,” Joel Simon, CPJ executive director, said on the committee website.

“But being butchered in front of camera simply for being a reporter is pure barbarism. We condemn in the strongest terms possible the murder of journalist ?Steven Sotloff. He, like James Foley, went to Syria to tell a story.”

When news of this reached attendees at the Venue’s hootenanny, the atmosphere went somber.

The Venue owner and curator Gabriel Colman said people felt ?“uninspired.”

“That sentiment was shared by the people participating,” he said. “It really just killed the mood.”

It felt wrong to hold a happy event like a community singalong, Colman said.

As a result, the group canceled the event, staying silent in memoriam of the reporter’s death.

Usually, a hootenanny is a way for members of the community to join together in song.

The Venue has had them before, David Colman, another Venue curator, said.

In the past, singers and musicians performed Americana and traditional music. Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan are often heard.

“It’s people’s music,” David said.

This time, Gabriel said the event was canceled out of respect and acknowledgment of the news.

For the curators at the Venue, it was important to grieve and know the full story instead.

“It’s important to acknowledge what’s happened,” Gabriel said.