Gala supports African communities

Non-profit group Giving Back to Africa is presenting its 2014 gala at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 4 at the Clubhouse at the Fields.

Giving Back to Africa is a Bloomington-based nonprofit that supports students in the Democratic Republic of Congo through leadership and service.

The group creates programs that combine leadership and service for students in the DRC and teaches them to try to solve problems in their communities.

The founders of the group spent two years in the DRC learning about the communities and problems they face.

The founders noticed that the country had a lack of leadership, especially among young people.

In 2007, the group joined with two Congolese institutions and created a servant leadership pilot program.

The gala will include an African-inspired dinner from FARMbloomington, a silent auction, and Congolese ?fashions and products.

A documentary will also be shown at the event, sharing stories of the growth of the community from students and teachers in the program.

The program manager in the DRC will also be present at the event and will give a speech with updates about the program.

Individual tickets to the event are $60 for non-students and $30 for students. A table of eight costs $450. Each ticket includes one free drink from the cash bar.

To purchase a ticket for the event, register at ? givingbacktoafrica.org. All proceeds from the gala will benefit Giving Back to Africa’s programs in the DRC at the Centre Salisa school.