Fourth Street Festival of Arts exhibited 55 artists

Fourth Street Festival of the Arts and Crafts took place this past weekend.

It featured art works including paintings, photography, jewelry, wood works and 3-D arts.

Labor Day weekend saw 55 artist exhibitors at the festival, according to the festival website.

It is one of the few art fairs in the country organized by a board of local artists, said Martina Celerin, president of Fourth Street Festival.

“We resemble the concept of ‘by local artists, for local artists,’” she said.

The festival drew many renowned local artists as well as artists from other parts of the country.

Kana Handel, a children’s book author and illustrator, was among the featured artists.

For her, a benefit of the festival is its care for the artists.

“I came from Tokyo, Japan, and now reside in Greenville, Fla.,” Handel said. “The festival is in the right size, not too big. And this creates a very friendly space that is not overwhelming for visitors. It also has a low entry fee, which could run up to a large number at other art fairs organized by corporations.”

Organized by local artists, the art festival had the privilege of drawing a group of local artists who adore the public. Over one hundred artists participated.

Marilyn Greenwood, a jewelry artist from Clear Creek, Ind., hopes the festival remains small.

“That helps us to build a better relationship with each of our clients,” she said. “I have many regulars from the festival who would come back year after year.”

A close relationship also shows up among the artists themselves, photographer Kyle Spears said. Spears said the festival has a home ?feeling.

“My dad actually introduced me to the festival,” he said. “He has been involved for over 20 years. I graduated from IU with a degree in photography, and now I enjoy very much coming back to Bloomington and showcasing all the different perspectives I got from life through my photographic works.”

The festival also features various local organizations and groups on site to speak with patrons and participants, such as representatives from Court Appointed Special Advocates.

Beth Krouse, a CASA supervisor, said the group is operated by volunteers who represent the best interests of children who have been abused and neglected.

“Our volunteers are very collective,” she said. “ They bring a variety of talents and interests. So it was initiated that we collaborate with local artists to design play houses, quilts and other functional art pieces that represent the idea of safety for children.”

Fourth Street Festival allows the group to reach a broader crowd in Bloomington that helps fundraising, she said.

“The public will really see that a passion for arts can extend from appreciation to helping other people,” Krouse said.