Hoosier rushers look to carry bigger load

IU Football

Football has evolved throughout the decades.

Teams are becoming increasingly more pass-oriented. The conventional wisdom of running to set up the pass has been replaced in some offenses by pass-first mindsets based around the quarterback, so much so that quarterbacks have captured 12 of the last 14 Heisman Trophies.

Even six of the last seven quarterbacks to win the Heisman have been dual-threat quarterbacks capable of taking control of the run game for themselves.

So when IU decided heading into 2014 that it would put more emphasis on the conventional run game, IU Running Backs Coach Deland McCullough happily obliged.

“In our room, we always felt like we could do more,” McCullough said. “Being team guys, we’re gonna do what the team needs to do. In this case, if the need is for us to take on a bigger load as running backs, we’ll gladly do that.”

Led by IU Coach Kevin Wilson, the Hoosier offense has been characterized by its high-tempo aerial attack. It’s what opponents have come to expect out of a coach who was responsible for developing 2008 Heisman-winning passer Sam Bradford while coaching at Oklahoma.

Last season, true running backs accounted for 2,059 yards and 19 touchdowns on 317 carries.

This year, in just three games, the Hoosiers’ running backs have accounted for 1,057 yards and 11 ?touchdowns on 168 carries.

At that pace, IU is well on its way to reaching 3,000 yards rushing on the ground and well past the 19 touchdowns it scored with rushers last season.

Led by junior running back Tevin Coleman, IU has become one of the Big Ten’s strongest rushing teams.

After missing the final three games of last season with injury, Coleman said he returned this season healthier than he’s been.

He was blunt about wanting to become IU’s first 1,000-yard rusher since Levron Williams in 2001.

Throughout the offseason and in the early weeks of the season, IU’s No. 1 back has been in the conversation with Big Ten foes Ameer Abdullah at Nebraska and Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin for the best back in the conference.

Before IU beat Missouri, Coleman told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that it was hard to be recognized as a runner at IU, but Wilson said he felt like he was baited into saying that by a reporter.

Coleman didn’t have a comment for the situation, but senior rusher D’Angelo Roberts did. He said Coleman doesn’t need recognition to know where he stands.

“If (the Big Ten) doesn’t want to nominate my little brother with his performances, we can just shock the world with our performance at the end of the season,” Roberts said.

Roberts has combined with freshmen Devine Redding and Myles Graham to compliment Coleman and add a variety of rushers to the ground attack.

“The three guys that came in played with attitude, and they took care of the football,” Wilson said of his rushers. “Tevin’s a special player. D’Angelo’s a veteran and you don’t see Myles much, but he’s not far behind what you saw from Devine, so it’s kind of a committee.”

Roberts has mostly been a second-option during his time at IU. He consistently served as a rotation player behind Coleman and Stephen Houston but adds a hard-working, experienced rusher to complement the raw talent of Coleman.

Redding came to Bloomington early to work with the team and has since caught up to speed quickly enough to get into the rotation as a true freshman.

Wilson has said he has been impressed with his ability to transition into the college game as quickly as he has.

Coleman and Roberts both admitted they weren’t expecting to get their names called as often as they have been, but as long as it continues to work, IU will feed them the ball.

McCullough said the running backs have a special bond with one another that’s more like a family than a group of teammates. That’s why Roberts calls Coleman his little brother.

McCullough said it’s that bond and commitment to one another that makes his running backs some of the best in the nation.

“I’ll take the group of guys I have over anybody in the country,” McCullough said. “We’ve got some real good players in our room from No. 1 to No. 8. You’ve got some guys.

“They come in competitive, love each other, love this team and they want to come out and show what they can do.”

Follow reporter  Sam Beishuizen on Twitter, @Sam_Beishuizen