Experimental filmmaker to speak at IU Cinema

New York-based filmmaker Bill Morrison will present a lecture 3 p.m. Friday at IU Cinema.

Morrison is best known for his film “Decasia,” which is a meditation on old, silent films. The film shows clips from various movies and footage of old film being ?processed.

The soundtrack for the film features performances on several detuned pianos and an orchestra playing out of sync.

The film is meant to be a discussion on the decay of old films, according to IU ?Cinema.

“Decasia” was added to the National Film Registry in 2013 by the United States Library of Congress in order to preserve it.

Currently, it is the youngest and most modern film to be added to the list of preservation.

The honor isn’t the only one Morrison has received. He has shown his films in festivals and museums around the world, including the Sundance Film Festival.

Eight of his films have been acquired by the Museum of Modern Art, and he has received grants to create more experimental films.

IU Cinema will show Morrison’s 2013 film, “The Great Flood” at 6:30 p.m. Friday.

The movie has no spoken dialogue and minimal text. It tells the story of displaced farmers after the Mississippi River flood of 1927.

Water flooded 27,000 square miles of land and caused many farmers to move north because they could no longer work.

Morrison’s film shows original footage from the flood and features a soundtrack of American roots music.

Morrison’s lecture and the screening of “The Great Flood” are free, however tickets are required for the screening.

Tickets can be picked up at the IU Auditorium box office or at IU Cinema 30 minutes prior to start time.