Equal in every way

The recent string of domestic violence incidents involving NFL players has rocked the sporting world and revealed the indifference with which our culture deals with violence.

Allegations regarding a possible cover-up orchestrated by the NFL commissioner have ?surfaced.

If these allegations are found to be true, they will confirm a troubling revelation into what an organization that millions of Americans support truly values: ?revenue.

However, I believe the NFL’s lethargic response to these incidents is a symptom of a greater issue that continues to thrive in American culture today: gender ?inequality.

The objectification of women must stop.

Women are not animals to be looked down upon.

Women are not toys to be played with and ?controlled.

Women are not ?children to be patronized and ignored and disrespected.

Women are women, made in the image of the same creator that gave males the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Women are beautiful, complex and strong.

Women are capable of achieving any feat.

Women are not to be treated as trophies, as no accolade can encompass the worth of a good ?woman. Women are worthy of respect and understanding, especially in times of vulnerability.

For a woman who has the courage to risk and fall in front of others also possesses the courage to risk and reach ?excellence.

Our culture has reached a point in which women playing to the stereotype of the submissive housewife are celebrated, yet regarded as less than human.

Our culture has also reached a point in which the stereotype of the brawny breadwinner is the standard of excellence males must strive to achieve.

The objectification of men must stop.

Men are not dogs to wrinkle your nose at.

Men are not toys to mold to your ideals and standards.

Men are not ATM machines to depend on.

Men are men, made in the image of the same Creator that gave women the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Men are beautiful, complex and strong.

Men are capable of achieving any feat.

Men are not to be treated as trophies, as no prize could encompass the worth of a good man.

Men are worthy of respect and understanding, especially in times of vulnerability, for a man who has the courage to risk and fall in front of others also possesses the courage to risk and reach excellence.

If we don’t recognize these similarities, nothing will change.

In order to effectively address incidents of domestic violence in this nation, it is essential that we, both men and women, start viewing one another as what we truly are.

Equal.