Jimmy John's data breach affects Bloomington locations

Jimmy John’s announced Wednesday a data breach affecting approximately 216 locations nationwide, including the East Third Street and Kirkwood Avenue locations in Bloomington.

The data breach would have affected debit and credit cards used at the locations.

The East Third Street store was affected by the breach from July 1 to August 3.  The Kirkwood Avenue store was affected from July 23 to August 1. 

Potentially compromised information includes payment information, such as the cardholder name, debit or credit card numbers, expiration date and verification code, according to Jimmy John’s.

While the news is just now being made public, Jimmy John’s has known of a possible security threat for more than a month.

Officials from Jimmy John’s said the company learned of the possible security breach July 30, according to a press release.

Officials also said that upon discovering the potential threat, they immediately hired third-party forensics experts, though they have not confirmed the identity of that party.

“While the investigation is ongoing, it appears that customers’ credit and debit card data was compromised after an intruder stole log-in credentials from Jimmy John’s point-of-sale vendor and used these stolen credentials to remotely access the point-of-sale systems at some corporate and franchised locations between June 16, 2014, and September 5, 2014,” the release said.

Customers should feel free to use their credit and debit cards at Jimmy John’s locations, the release said. The company says it has taken steps to prevent this type of event from occurring in the future.

Officials will not contact customers who may have been affected. Customers should check their credit card statements for suspicious activity and report any incidents to their bank or credit card company, the release said.