Monday, March 18

Bloomington Animal Shelter hosts Adopt-a-Dog Month

October is Adopt-a-Dog Month at the Bloomington Animal Shelter. The Shelter is making this year’s events a flashy affair with the theme “Woofstock.”

Dog adoption fees, which are usually between $55 and $75, are reduced to $40 per dog throughout October.

Dogs are generally priced depending on their age.

Canines more than five years old costing $55 and younger dogs coming in at $75 .

According to a release from the shelter, all dogs will be vaccinated, micro-chipped, heartworm-tested and spayed or neutered prior to adoption.

New owners who adopt during the month of October will also receive a complementary leash, new toy or dog coat “to take home for their new best friend,” the release reads.

The Bloomington Animal Care and Control’s Facebook page dictates that its mission is to “address and respond to all animal needs in the community through education, enforcement and support in order to build a community where animals are valued and treated with kindness and respect.”

The group’s Facebook banner advertises “Woofstock” with the slogan “Peace, love and dogs” next to a Yorkshire terrier wearing a flowered headband and tinted purple glasses.

Adoptable animals are available for visits from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at the animal shelter, which is located at 3410 S. Walnut St.

In addition to these visiting hours, interested adopters can check out any of several events planned for the month, all of which adoptable dogs will be making appearances.

Dogtober Fest Mega Dog Adoption Event

Oct. 4: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Woodlawn Shelter ?in Bryan Park

Adorable Adoptables

Oct. 11: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monroe County Public Library

Hops for Hounds

Oct. 12: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Upland Brewery

Farmer’s Market

Oct. 25: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., Bloomington Farmer’s Market