Author selects IU as setting for new book

Douglas E. Richards felt inspired by the campus while dropping his daughter off her freshman year of college.

Author Douglas E. Richards has returned to his IU roots.

“Quantum Lens,” a science fiction novel set to be released Wednesday, is partially set on IU’s campus. For Richards, a New York Times best-selling author and IU alumnus, the novel is an homage to his past and his future.

“My parents met at IU, and actually they married at IU,” Richards said. “And my aunts and uncles on both sides met their spouses at IU. It’s funny how all my life, all my relatives went to IU.”

Despite spending his childhood in Cincinnati, Richards always grew up hearing the Hoosier fight song on television.

“It was funny because growing up, I would always be watching Ohio State football, and my dad hated Ohio State. And I would always say, ‘Why do you hate Ohio so much? I mean, don’t we live in Ohio?’ I never understood until I got older that IU was his home,” he said.

Today, the University has become a part of his life again, with Richards’ daughter enrolled as a freshman this year. To honor his daughter, Regan, he opted to have “Quantum Lens” take place in Bloomington.

“I know that he did set some of it near IU because he found out I was going here, and he wanted to do that specifically for me,” Regan said.

As for the plot of the book, Richards adheres to his science fiction roots, sharing a story about how science can keep a jihadist with supernatural tendencies in check.

It is not surprising that Richards’ new book explores the ethics of technological advancement and how much society can progress with it.

But in terms of the setting, Richards said he decided to pick a place with emotional value.

IU is a gorgeous campus, he said.

“There’s the limestone buildings, the woods, the cute little chipmunks and squirrels everywhere,” Richards said.

Both his history with IU and his love for the campus encouraged Richards to tie the plot into the University, he said.

“The heroine is a researcher at IU, right outside Bloomington,” Richards said. “So much of the plot takes place in Bloomington.”

Regan said she believed IU was suitable as the ?backdrop of the book.

“If you pick a setting, you can write a plot around that setting, and there’s definitely opportunities to write a plot based on the setting, especially a great one like IU,” she said.

After visiting IU with his daughter, Richards said they both fell in love with the University.

“I truly believe IU was a good fit for the book,” Richards said. “And you know, I think it would be fun for people from the area to read the book. It’s kind of like a love letter to the University.”