Astronomical art at WonderLab next week

WonderLab will join the ranks of Bloomington galleries opening their doors Oct. 3 for the October First Friday Gallery Walk.

There are three main events organized.

People can meet and watch Jill Cooley, a graduate student in the IU School of Fine Arts.

She will demonstrate how she uses false color and other imaging techniques to create images of the universe, according to a press release.

Her demonstration will be followed by a multimedia performance from ?Gabriel Lubell D.M.

Lubell is an adjunct lecturer at the Jacobs School of Music.

He is a composer, scholar and astronomer whose “creative output explores myriad topics such as fireflies, solar physics and Motown bassist James Jamerson,” according to the Jacobs School of Music.

He will combine original music compositions and astronomical images, according to the release.

Audience members will be able to see astronomical images while listening to Jamerson’s accompanying music compositions.

His music has been performed throughout the United States, Italy and Sweden.

Lastly, there will be a moon observation.

People can “step outside as the nearly full moon rises to closely observe its features through a telescope with amateur astronomer Mark Flanigan,” according to the release.

There will be craft activities for all ages. Projects include using oil pastels to make drawings inspired by NASA’s images of planetary geology and creating sun-catchers that look like planets.

These activities are included with museum ?admission.

Half-price museum admission, $3.50, will be in ?effect Oct. 3 from 5 p.m. until the museum closes at 8:30 p.m., according to the release. After purchasing admission, the activities will be open to all.

Seating for the 30-minute musical performance, which takes place from 6 to 6:30 p.m., will be first-come, first-serve.