Women's Equality Day celebrated downtown, plaque dedicated to Susan B. Anthony

Cathi Crabtree, chair of the City of Bloomington Commission on the Status of Women, helps rededicate a plaque in memory of Susan B. Anthony's visit to Bloomington during the Women's Suffrage Movement.

A crowd of people stood in the afternoon heat Tuesday to witness the rededication of a commemorative plaque to Susan B. Anthony for the nationally celebrated Women’s Equality Day.

The plaque was originally dedicated in 2012 but was taken down three weeks ago for building remodeling.

The City of Bloomington Commission on the Status of Women and the Monroe County Women’s Commission planned the event in conjunction with Women’s Equality Day because of Susan B. Anthony’s historic visit in 1887.

That visit started the women’s rights movement in Bloomington, MCWC Chair Efrat Feferman said.

“We have a proud tradition of being leaders in social justice here in Monroe County,” Feferman said.

“This is a commemoration to the roots of a particular movement, so I think it’s neat to celebrate, honor and highlight.”

The rededication took place outside the new Seaview Outfitters store on the downtown Square . The site used to be Walnut Street Presbyterian Church, where Anthony spoke during one of her two visits.

“It was really exciting for me to learn that Susan B. Anthony had been here,” BCSW Chair Cathi Crabtree said.

“She campaigned on a national level for women’s suffrage but thought small Bloomington was important enough to come to.”

Aside from celebrating Anthony’s visits to Bloomington, Crabtree said she hoped the event would raise awareness for women’s ?issues.

“My main goal for today is to highlight the importance of women voting and women getting the right to vote in 1920,” Crabtree said.

“Women are voting in greater numbers than men, so I’m glad we’re not squandering that right.”

Not only did the event identify various advances in women’s equality, but it also shed light on the improvements the group believes still need to be made.

“I hope the event will raise awareness about how far we have come, but also how far we have yet to go,” Crabtree said.

“Disparities still exist between women and men, and I hope this is an invitation to people to stay engaged and continue to make changes for the betterment of women.”

Bloomington policies on women align almost directly with those of the state and nation, Crabtree said.

“On boards and commissions, women still represent about 33 percent of ?statutory commissions but around 50 percent of non-statutory commissions,” Crabtree said.

“This is important because statutory commissions are the ones made by law and that can implement policy.”

Feferman said poverty, access to healthcare, violence and sexual assault are also challenges women face disproportionately.

Bloomington resident Sarah Ryterband attended the rededication as well as the original dedication. She said this time around, there were only about one-third of the amount people than there were at the original event.

However, she said the event still reminded her that “the job’s not done” when it comes to fighting for women’s rights. She said she hopes women will register to vote and stay informed about the upcoming election.

Registering to vote, staying educated about women’s rights issues and getting involved were all things Feferman said help ensure women’s equality.

“I know women in places of power doesn’t equate with better opportunities for other women,” Ryterband said. “But without women in power, it’s much too easy for it to be a boy’s club.”