sports men's soccer

IU men's soccer 5th in Big Ten preseason poll

spMensSoccer8/19

After entering the 2013 season, IU men’s soccer ranked not only as the Big Ten preseason favorite, but in the country, as it was picked to finish fifth in the Big Ten leading into the 2014 season.

Every coach ranked each Big Ten team and picked three players from each team they think are players to watch.

Big Ten newcomer Maryland was picked to finish first, a year after reaching the national championship game. Included among the three players is sophomore goalkeeper Zack Steffen, who is a regular starter on the United States Under-20 Men’s National Team.

Maryland will visit Bloomington Oct. 19 in a game that will also be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.

Michigan State was picked to finish second,  while Michigan was picked to finish third, led by the efforts of defending Big Ten Midfielder of the Year senior Tyler Arnone.

IU will close its season at home against Michigan State Nov. 5  and travel to Michigan on Oct. 26 in a game that will be televised on the Big Ten Network.

Penn State was picked to finish fourth a season after claiming the Big Ten regular season crown.  The Nittany Lions have reigning Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year senior Andrew Olverton returning to assist in their attempt to ?repeat.

IU opens its Big Ten campaign against Penn State at home Sep. 13.

The list is rounded out by Northwestern, Wisconsin, Rutgers and Ohio State.

IU’s three players to watch are junior forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen, sophomore midfielder Tanner Thompson and senior midfielder Jamie Vollmer.

Vollmer was key in IU’s Big Ten Tournament victory, scoring his first career goal in the finals against Michigan State to secure a 1-0 win. Vollmer was also named Offensive Player of the Tournament.

Hollinger-Janzen was named to the College Cup All-Tournament Team, the Big Ten All-Freshman team and the Soccer America All-Freshman team. Hollinger-Janzen failed to win any accolades in his sophomore campaign.