Lecture series on climate change to begin Wednesday

From IDS Reports

Rajendra K. Pachauri, chairman of the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, will be the keynote speaker in a lecture series focused on international climate change negotiations.

Pachauri will deliver a lecture titled “The Climate Change Challenge: Insights From the Latest Assessment Report” at 5:30 p.m. Sept. 3 in Presidents Hall in Franklin Hall, according to a University press release.

The lecture series is sponsored by the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, the School of Global and International Studies and the World Resources Institute, according to the release.

“As a premier school of public and environmental studies in the U.S., we at SPEA felt it was appropriate to focus on the ongoing negotiations on climate, change which will culminate in the Paris conference,” Rajendra Abhyankar, professor of practice in SPEA, said in the release.

The series will feature speakers from the U.S., China, India, Brazil, Germany and France.

“Dr. Pachauri’s talk will lay the groundwork for the ensuing negotiations, and in this sense it should be seen as a fulcrum on which the other speakers will situate themselves,” Abhyankar said.

Pachauri shared the 2007 Nobel Prize as chairman of the IPCC, according to the release.

The IPCC describes itself on its website as the leading international body in assessing climate change.

Pachauri, educated as an economist and industrial engineer, has written 27 books and co-authored 137 papers, according to the release.