?Jerrod Carmichael coming to Comedy Attic

UPDATE: Comedian Jerrod Carmichael will not be not perform at the Comedy Attic Thursday due to a flight delay, according to the Comedy Attic.

He will be performing Friday and Saturday night as scheduled.  

Most commonly known for playing “Garf” in the 2014 film “Neighbors,” stand-up comedian Jerrod Carmichael will be performing at the Comedy Attic Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Carmichael’s stand-up recently earned him a spot in the Oddball Festival, a comedy tour featuring performers like Jim Gaffigan and Amy Schumer.

“I really liked what I saw when I first saw him,” Jared Thompson, owner of the Comedy Attic said.

Thompson said most people are either really good at comedy and unlikable or likable but not very ?talented.

Carmichael both has talent and is likable, Thompson said.

Though Carmichael is relatively new to the comedy business, Thompson said he wanted to get Carmichael to come to the Comedy Attic for more than a year now.

Thompson said when he looks for acts, he is concerned far less with history and experience than talent and finding a person who can both draw a crowd in and entertain patrons.

“This’ll be his first time in,” Thompson said, commenting on how Carmichael’s busy schedule has kept him from Bloomington.

Bloomington is ready for what Carmichael has to offer them, and should be able to experiment with his material in this venue, Thompson said.

Recently, Carmichael recorded a special, and since it has not been aired yet, he might be using some of that material as well, he said.

The Comedy Attic holds 164 people per show, adding up to 820 for the weekend of five shows, and it is very possible, thanks to students moving back and starting classes, that all of those seats will be filled, ?Thompson said.

He said Carmichael’s performance was booked in the last week of August specifically for that reason.

“He’s gonna appeal to college students,” Thompson said.

He said Carmichael might be one of the best comedians in the country right now and has the makings of a mega star.

“It’s just a matter of time until he’s a household name,” Thompson said.