IU professor appointed to Invasive Species Council

ciHeatherReynolds

An IU professor was chosen to be an ecological civic leader earlier this month .

Heather Reynolds , associate professor of biology at IU , was appointed to the Indiana Invasive Species Council Aug. 8 by Gov. Mike Pence . Reynolds was appointed to serve through June 30, 2015 , according to the governor’s website .

The Indiana Invasive Species Council was created in 2009 and signed into law under former Gov. Mitch Daniels . According to its strategic plan, the council serves to educate the public and suggest ways the state can combat invasive species . The council works in partnership with Purdue University .

Reynolds researches how invasive species damage ecosystems, other species and green infrastructure.

“It’s a complex issue because human-caused disturbance is often the root of invasion,” Reynolds said in an email . “I care about healthy ecosystems and healthy human communities, and I want to help promote them.”

An invasive species is any organism that is not native to a habitat and does environmental, health or economic damage, according to the Indiana Invasive Species Council website . Reynolds said her service on the council will also include assessing species to include on the state’s invasive species list .

Reynolds has been involved in local projects such as the Urban Woodlands Project and its most recent initiative, Fruits of the Forest , which allows children to learn about species that are native and invasive to the Bloomington area. She has also served as chair on the City of Bloomington’s Environmental Commission for nine years.

“Working to benefit nature and society is part of what makes life satisfying and meaningful to me,” Reynolds said .

The Invasive Species Council consists of 11 members . Six are designated by law, including directors, commissioners and board members of various state government agencies, as well as the Purdue University College of Agriculture dean. The remaining five council members are appointed by the governor . Reynolds is the only IU faculty member on the council .

Boards and commissions are committees under the 23 agencies of the Indiana state government that serve to educate both agencies and the public, create policies and supervise agency operations, according to the governor’s website . The Invasive Species Council falls under the Indiana Natural Resources Commission .

According to the governor’s website, approximately 500 appointments are made to the 228 boards and commissions councils throughout the year.

“Serving on the council is an expression of my commitment to help care for Indiana’s environment,” Reynolds said.