Hoosiers aim for NFL careers

IU Football v. Navy

Wide receiver Cody Latimer

The Denver Broncos chose the former IU receiver in the second round of this year’s NFL draft with the 56th overall pick.

In three preseason games, Latimer has two receptions for 50 yards.  He made his first touchdown catch in a preseason game against the 49ers last week.

With quarterback Peyton Manning’s main target, Wes Welker, out indefinitely with a concussion, Latimer will look to get more playing time going into the regular season.

In three seasons at IU, the 6-foot-3, 215-pound receiver made 135 catches for 2,042 yards and scored 17 touchdowns.

Tight end Ted Bolser

Former IU tight end Ted Bolser was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the seventh round (217th overall) of the 2014 NFL draft.

Bolser opened his NFL career with a seven-yard touchdown catch during the Redskins’ first preseason game, a 23-6 win over the New England Patriots.

At IU, Bolser set career tight end records with 117 receptions, 1,337 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Kicker Mitch Ewald

Late last month, former IU kicker Mitch Ewald rejoined IU teammate Cody Latimer when he was signed to the Denver Broncos.

Ewald arrived in Denver as a backup, serving as competition for starter Matt Prater during preseason camp.

Now, Ewald will have the opportunity to take Prater’s spot after Prater was suspended for four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Ewald is 1-for-2 on field goal conversions.

As a Hoosier, Ewald became IU’s all-time leader in field goals, field goal percentage and extra points.

He scored 320 points in his career, second-most all time at IU.

Wide receiver Kofi Hughes

Nine days after being signed by the Chicago Bears to a one-year contract, Hughes was cut Sunday.

It was part of a nine-man roster cut to trim the roster to 75 players before the 3 p.m. Tuesday deadline. Hughes has been on three different teams since originally signing with the Washington Redskins May 15.

Hughes finished his IU career with 132 receptions for 1,956 yards.  He scored 13 touchdowns in 45 career games.

Grace Palmieri