?Diabolique International Film Festival coming to IU Cinema

An international horror film festival sponsored by Diabolique Magazine will come to Bloomington Sept. 18-20 and will be hosted by IU Cinema.

The Diabolique International Film Festival began more than eight years ago and since 2007 has presented more than 250 films from more than a dozen countries, according to a press release.

Filmmakers from around the world visit during the festival.

Diabolique International Film Festival was recognized by MovieMaker Magazine as one of the “Top 25 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee,” and one of the “13 Horror Film Festivals to Die For.”

Ti West will be featured as the guest lecturer of the festival. He is included in the Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker Lecture series, which has included Meryl Streep, Werner Herzog and Ron Osgood.

Called a rising star in horror cinema in a press release, West wrote and directed many films including “V/H/S,” “The Innkeepers” and “The ABCs of Death.”

West will speak at 3 p.m. Sept. 19 at IU Cinema and will screen three of his films.

The films are set to be “The Sacrament” at 6:30 p.m., “The Innkeepers” at 9:30 p.m. and “The House of the Devil” at 11:59 p.m.

The first DIFF Academic Symposium will take place the following Saturday morning.

The symposium will consist of three horror-centered round tables.

Two will be led by local horror scholars and a third will be led by independent horror directors Ti West and Zack Parker.

Beginning at noon Saturday and lasting through midnight, DIFF will present six screening blocks featuring 40 short and feature films from around the world.

Several filmmakers will be in attendance to introduce their films and provide Q&As with the ?audience.

A schedule of films is available on the festival website at www.diaboliquefilmfestival.com .

This year, there will be a variety of countries represented in the films, including movies from Serbia, Iceland, South Korea, Greece, Poland, France, Spain, Australia, Germany and the UK.

Following the screenings will be an awards ceremony presenting prizes in 11 categories including best feature, best short, best screenplay, best editing, best cinematography, best director, best sound/score, best SFX, best actor and best actress.