Bear's Place features IU jazz alum

From IDS reports

The Bear’s Place presents IU jazz alum Rahsaan Barber 5:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday as part of the Jazz Fables concert series.

Tickets are $7 for general admission and $5 for students. Attendees must be 21.

Barber graduated from the Jacobs School of Music in the 2000s with a bachelor’s degree in jazz studies.

After graduation, both Barber and his twin brother went on to receive their master’s degrees at the Manhattan School of Music in New York, according to a press release from Bear’s Place.

Barber is originally from Nashville, Tenn. and currently lives there and works as an active musician and recording artist.

He is the co-leader of a Latin jazz group called El Movimiento and a leader of hip-hop soul band the Megaphones.

Barber also launched his own record label, Jazz Music City, in 2011.

While a student at IU in the early 2000s, Barber and his brother Roland performed at the same Bear’s Place concert series as students.

Rahsaan and Roland are named after famous jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

Kirk performed his last concert ever at the Indiana Memorial Union on Dec. 4, 1977, before dying the next day.

Barber is now returning to Bloomington with his jazz quintet, Everyday Magic, from Nashville, Tenn.

The quintet also features guitarist Adam Agati, pianist Jody Nardone, bassist Jerry Navarro and drummer Nioshi Jackson.

The same day, Barber will give a music clinic for music students. It will be at the Jacobs School of Music 12:15 p.m. Thursday.