Tevin Coleman named to watch list

spFootballvsPSU

IU junior running back Tevin Coleman was named to the preseason watch list for the 2014 Doak Walker Award, the PwC SMU Athletic Forum announced Thursday morning.

The Doak Walker award has been given to the nation’s premier running back since 1990. Fifty-three running backs were named to the initial watch list, eight of whom play in the Big Ten. Past winners include Ricky Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Reggie Bush and Trent Richardson.

After winning the starting job last season, Coleman went on to earn honorable All-Big Ten recognition. He rushed for 958 yards, averaging 7.3 yards per carry, and 12 touchdowns before missing the final three games due to an ankle injury.

Coleman’s rushing efforts helped add parity to a Hoosier offense that relied heavily on the passing game last season. The Tinley Park, Ill. native averaged 106.4 rushing yards and 141.7 all-purpose yards per game, becoming the first Hoosier since Levron Williams (2001) to average 100 rushing yards a game.

Coleman established himself as one of the most explosive players in college football. In nine games, he had eight runs of 40 or more yards—tied for most in the nation. In his last game of the season, he rushed for 215 yards on 15 carries in a 52-35 victory against Illinois.

The PwC SMU Athletic Forum Board of Directors will name the semifinalists for the award on Nov. 18. The Doak Walker Award National Selection Committee will then cast votes to determine the finalists to be announced on Nov. 24.

The committee will then cast a second vote beginning Dec. 1 to determine the winner to be announced live on The Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 11 aired on ESPN.