Middle Coast to feature films, shorts and workshops

IU Cinema

Breaking the norm of film festivals gravitating toward the coasts, Middle Coast Film Festival uses the Midwest as a connection point.

This weekend, audience members can enjoy feature films, short films and workshops along with networking opportunities.

“The Middle Coast Fest believes the Midwest connects people, and that connection drives the films that the world has come to know and love,” its website reads.

Films will be screened at both the IU Cinema and the Buskirk-Chumley Theater with workshops and special events taking place in different venues across town such as The Bishop Bar and the Blueline Gallery.

Films that have been selected to be screened were selected based on a submission contest.

The weekend will kick off with an opening mixer for badge holders at Blueline Media Productions on ?Saturday afternoon.

Following the mixer, the IU Cinema will feature the Midwest Premiere of the film “Book of Ruth,” as well as a screening of the short film, “The Wood House.”

Saturday will also include a question-and-answer session with the writer and director of “Book of Ruth,” Pablo Veliz and producer Carolyn King.

The cinema will continue to premiere films and shorts throughout the evening including “Swim Little Fish Swim,” “Sex Boss,” “Tuck Me In,” “Elena” and “One Armed Man.”

The evening will conclude with a mixer at The Bishop, where guests can review the previously premiered films while also viewing selected Midcoast Music Videos and Title ?Designs.

Sunday’s events will start with a panel discussion titled “The Darkside of Filmmaking: Contracts and Liability” at the Blueline Gallery.

The day will include screenings of films and shorts such as “Just Kevin,” ”#RIP,” “Gobinon,” “White Creek,” “The Age of Reason” and “Chocolates.”

The closing ceremonies and awards for the festival will be at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The weekend will wrap up with an after party at 9:30 p.m. Sunday at the Back Door.

Tickets can be purchased for individual screenings, single days of the festival or as a pass for the entire weekend.

Some events, such as question-and-answer sessions or mixers, are only open to badge holders.

For more information or to purchase tickets, visit  middlecoastfest.com.