Tuesday, March 19

New exhibition space at Mathers to open on Aug. 19

While the exterior of the Mathers Museum of World Cultures might seem unchanged, the interior exhibition spaces have gone through major renovation and will reopen Aug. 19.

According to a blog post on Art at IU, the museum has emptied and updated the entire exhibition area.

The museum staff decided they needed a complete renovation to provide visitors with a fresh layout while meeting the needs of the exhibits, according the blog post.

The DeVault Teaching Gallery will serve as a space for faculty to share pieces of the museum collection with their students for specific classes. Before, students had to cram into a smaller space, limiting interaction with the museum’s collection.

In the blog post, director Jason Jackson said classroom space will be better situated in the museum. This will allow researchers, members of the community, K-12 students, undergraduates and graduate students to make use of the museum’s resources.

Jackson said the renovations will create space that better serves their goal of enriching student experience.

Aug. 19 will also mark the opening of new exhibits such as “Food is Work: Tools and Traditions” and “Instruments of Culture.” The ongoing exhibition, “Thoughts, Things, and Theories: What is Culture?” will re-open after summer renovations.

Anu Kumar