Dalai Lama celebrated at cultural center

The Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center celebrated the Dalai Lama’s 79th birthday Sunday.

First on the itinerary was the smoke offering puja, a ceremony where the attendants encircled a large pyre filled with logs, sticks, shrubbery and various offerings.

For nearly an hour, two men chanted at rapid speed, ringing a bell intermittently as white smoke billowed from the pyre. Some onlookers joined in the recitation, and others sat silently with their hands clasped together, fingertips pointed toward the sky.

As the top of the pyre turned to ash, the attendants grabbed handfuls of rice and tossed it into the fire as an offering.

As the flame’s vivacity waned, individuals congregated at the Kumbum Chamtse Ling Temple where, upon removing their shoes, they entered the prayer hall and sat atop cushions situated on the floor. A man named ?Geshe-la led the group in a long-life prayer as the audience followed along in their prayer books.

According to Chenli Rejie, the center manager, it is customary in Tibet to honor spiritual leaders such as the Dalai Lama with these types of ceremonies.

“In Tibet, we celebrate our teachers,” he said. “ One way of doing this is by saying a long-life prayer. It’s also a sign of respect. The prayer is our way of showing appreciation and thanks.”

At the center of the vividly decorated prayer hall was an altar containing a framed picture of the Dalai Lama. After the prayer ended, individuals approached the altar and draped thin, colorful scarves called khatags in front of the picture.

Afterwards, the attendees walked to the cultural building to attend the silent auction, the proceeds of which will be used to finish the renovations taking place at the center. The celebration concluded with food and entertainment.

Rejie said he believes the cultural center, which welcomes people from all cultures and religions, has something to offer for everyone.

Russell Smith